Are you tired weeding through various articles available online about the “dmw.exe” issue in the Windows 7 or 8 or 10 operating system?
If yes, then don’t worry!
We will resolve every query in this resounding guide that covers everything you need to know about the dmw.exe file in Windows 7 operating system.
What do you understand by dmw.exe?
It is most common that whenever you open the task manager of your system to end any process, you might notice that there is a process named dmw.exe, which runs continuously in the Windows 7 operating system.
Most of the people are unaware of this process, where it stands for the desktop window manager.
DWM is a fine that is responsible for managing all the visual effects that display on your desktop.
It is a file which is responsible for processing all the application of your system before it opens on the screen.
DMW runs in the Windows 7/8/10 operating system as it saves in text format all the pictures before it gets displayed on the screen.
Here we have an authoritative guide with all the latest tips and tricks to help you understand the dmw.exe issues without much difficulty.
DMW – Safe or unsafe for a computer?
Whenever you encounter such a file in your system, or you see a process running named dwm.exe, you might think whether it is safe for my computer of it is a malware file.
Though this process looks like a malware file, in reality, it is entirely safe for your system.
This file is much safe that even viruses can also not create a copy of it in your system. But still, if you suspect the presence of the dmw.exe file as a malware file, you can get assurance by following the below-mentioned steps.
- Right-click on the taskbar of desktop and open task manager by selecting the task manager option.
- Once the task manager window pops up, search for the desktop window manager process that is currently running in the system.
- Once you can search it, right-click on it and select Open file location.
- It will open the window where the dmw.exe file is present in the system.
- Dmw.exe file should present under system 32 folder of Windows.
- Verify that the file is present in the path mentioned above.
It acts as an assurance for you if the dnw.exe file is present in the mentioned folder of Windows 7 operating system.
Steps to disable dmw.exe
Dmw.exe is so crucial for your system visual effects and displays that there is no way to disable it in Windows 8 or Windows 10. But if you are using Windows 7 operating system, you can disable it on your wish.
Desktop window manager keeps on improving in performance with the newer version of operating systems i.e., Windows 8 and Windows 10, and hence the need to disable it has also been removed.
But still, if you think that disabling the desktop window manager might improve the performance of your Windows 7 operating system, below mentioned steps should be followed.
- Enter services in the search box present at the bottom of the desktop,
- You will able to view the services option. Click on it.
- Once you click on the services application, the new services window will pop up.
- In the services window, you will be able to view a list of all the services of the system.
- Search desktop window manager in the list of services and double click on it with the help of a mouse.
- After double-clicking, the desktop window manager properties window will open up.
- Click on the stop button present in the last of the window.
- After that, go to the startup type dropdown and select Disabled.
- Click on the Apply button to save the changes.
Desktop window manager high CPU usage issue
The desktop window manager consumed very little memory of the system even after opening multiple Windows together. It generally uses 60 MB RAM of the system. But still, if you think that the desktop window manager comes high CPU memory.
Then below mentioned steps should be followed.
- Make sure that all the drivers, as well as graphic cards installed in the system, are of the latest version. If old version drivers are present, then update the drivers form the official website of a computer.
When you update the drivers, it reduces the CPU memory usage by the desktop window manager.
- To resolve the issue of high CPU usage by the desktop window manager that slows the system, you need to troubleshoot the system by running the troubleshooter installed in the system.
Troubleshooting the system will help in detecting the issue and fixing it automatically. After troubleshooting, check if the issue of high CPU usage is resolved.
- In case of presence of an old version of the graphic card in the system can lead to the occurrence of this issue of high CPU usage by the dmw.exe file. Therefore, you can resolve this issue by updating the video card of the system.
- Sometimes, if there are some malware files present in the system, it can decrease the performance of a desktop window manager. Therefore, you can resolve this issue by running the antivirus software in the system to detect the malware and corrupted files in the system.
- Updating the drivers of hardware can also help in resolving the issue of high CPU usage by desktop Windows manager.
Final Verdict for dmw.exe in Windows 7/8/10 operating system
Every user wants their PC to be running smoothly and fast. Therefore, when they face any issue due to the present of dmw.exe file in Windows 7 operating system, they feel disappointed
Consequently, we have provided a helpful guide that helps you in understanding the dmw.exe file and resolving any issue due to this file in the Windows 7 operating system so that you can have a great experience.
If you have something new to share or any feeling or experience, then also feel free to explain it to us so that we can publish it on our portal.
Do let us know in the comment section below whether the complete information guide for dmw.exe is helpful for you!