Are you tired weeding through various articles available online about the “Surface Pro 4 pen not working” issue in the Windows operating system?
If yes, then don’t worry!
We will resolve every query in this resounding guide that covers everything you need to know with steps to fix Surface Pro 4 pen, not working issue in Windows operating system.
FIRST, let us understand…
What do you understand by Surface Pen?
The surface is a laptop launched by Microsoft with features like the touchscreen and interactive whiteboard. Microsoft launched lots of devices in this series.
If the pen of these PC’s is not working, then there is no use of having surface systems because without the pen, you won’t be able to write anything on the screen of the systems of the Surface family.
There are multiple problems that users faced over some time with such systems. Some of the issues are:
- Light of pen is not functioning
- The user can write using the pen as there is some problem with the tip of the pen.
- Buttons of the pen are working, but still, the user is not able to write.
- Sometimes user face driver issues as the drivers of the pen become old
Here we have an authoritative guide with all the latest tips and tricks to help you resolve the issue of Surface pro 4 pens not working without much difficulty.
5 Fixes to resolve Surface pro 4 pen not working issue (100% working)
Pen stylus is a critical component of Surface systems as without them. The user won’t be able to write something on the screen.
Below mentioned solutions can help the user in resolving such issues.
Fix 1: Battery of pen should be replaced
Most of the problems related to the surface open mentioned above are due to the batter problems. The inbuilt battery in the surface pen is AAAA battery, but after some time, it gets drained, which leads to the prime reason for such issues.
If an old battery gets over, the user should change the battery of the Surface pen. The user should also check if the battery is correctly placed in the surface pen.
After changing the old battery with the new one, restart the system and check if the surface pen is functioning correctly.
Fix 2: Pairing the pen
Sometimes, the issue of the surface pen not working correctly can arise due to connectivity problems with Bluetooth. Go the Bluetooth paired device list and check. If you see that the Surface pen is not connected with the device, you can follow the below-mentioned steps to resolve the connectivity issues of the surface pen with the device.
- With the help of your fingers, touch the screen of the device and go to settings of the device.
- In the settings window, click on Devices.
- After clicking on Devices, click on Change PC settings and select Bluetooth.
- From the list of paired devices, search surface pen, and select Remove device.
- After clicking on Remove device, the surface pen is removed from the paired list of your device.
- Switch off the stylus pen and restart b clicking the button on it.
- In the list of available devices, you will be able to view the Surface pen.
- Click on the pair button present next to the Surface Pen option in the device.
After pairing the stylus with the device, verify if it is working correctly or not.
Fix 3: Update the latest version of drivers
As we have already mentioned above that if drivers installed in the device is old version then, it may be possible that you encounter such issue of the surface pen not working correctly. To update the drivers, below mentioned steps should be followed.
- Open Settings of your system and then search for Update and Security option in the settings page
- In the left navigation panel, click on Windows Update.
- After that click on Check for Updates
- After clicking on Check for updates, all the attest versions of the drivers will be downloaded and installed automatically.
- Once the drivers are installed, restart the system so that the latest version of drivers are correctly installed.
Fix 4: Hard Reset
Even after trying all the above solutions, the issue of the surface pen is not resolved. Below mentioned steps should be followed to hard reset the system.
- Power off the system by pressing the power button of your device and hold it for 20 seconds.
- Now press the power button and Volume up key together and hold it till the surface is visible on the screen of the device.
- After executing step 2, you will be able to view the UEFI menu. Close this menu.
- After closing the UEFI menu, it reboots the system.
Fix 5: Pen driver should be reinstalled
- In the search box present at the bottom of your screen, search device manager.
- Open the device manager by click on that option.
- Right-click on the surface pen in the list of devices available.
- After right-clicking on the device, click on Uninstall.
- After clicking on Uninstall, the driver for the surface pen has been uninstalled
- Install the driver for a pen again in the system
After installing the driver again, restart the system and check if the surface pen is working correctly or not.
Final Verdict for Surface pro 4 pen not working issue
The stylus pen is a very vital component of surface systems. If the pen is not working correctly, it hampers the overall experience of users of the surface device.
Users become uninterested in buying these devices, hearing the bad reviews of the pen not working.
Therefore, we have provided a helpful guide which helps you in resolving the issue of Surface pro 4 pens not working in surface devices so that you can have a great experience.
If you have something new to share or any feeling or experience, then also feel free to explain it to us so that we can publish it on our portal.
Do let us know in the comment section below that which of the above fixes worked for you!