Are you tired weeding through various articles available online about the “msvcp140.dll is missing” error in the Windows 7/8/10 operating system?
If yes, then don’t worry!
We will resolve every query in this resounding guide that covers everything you need to know with steps to fix msvcp140.dll is missing error in Windows 7/8/10 operating system.
What is the program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing?
It is a kind of error that pops up when you try to open any application or game in your computer system. When the user sees msvcp140.dll is missing error, it hampers their experience and makes them disappointed.
Here we have an authoritative guide with all the latest tips and tricks to help you resolve the issue of “the program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing” without much difficulty.
But before looking for ways to fix this error, it is essential to understand the real significance of msvcp140.dll file in the Windows 7/8/10 operating system.
What do you understand by msvcp140.dll?
Sometimes, when a user wants to start an application in their computer system, they may encounter the issue that “the program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing”.
When this msvcp140.dll file is not present in the computer system, some of the error messages that can pop out are Error loading msvcp140.dll, msvcp140.dll is corrupted, etc.
When the user sees any of the above error codes, it is quite understandable that windows are not able to find the msvcp140.dll file in the system.
These errors may pop out if the file got deleted from the system or if it got corrupted due to some viruses present in the system.
This file i.e., msvcp140.dll, is a library file present in the computer system that helps in starting the various application in the system.
3 Fixes to resolve “the program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing” error (100% working)
“Program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing” error is a very critical error in the system as it resists application form launching in the system. Therefore, it is essential to resolve this error as quickly as possible so that it won’t harm the productivity of employees.
Now let’s understand the ways to fix such error of “msvcp140.dll is missing”.
Fix 1: Application that is not launching should be installed again
If you are encountering this error while launching a particular application, then to resolve this error, you may need to install this application back in your system.
Below mentioned steps should be followed to reinstall the application:
- Using the keyboard, press window + R, it will open the Run window.
- In the Run window popped up, enter appwiz.cpl
- After entering the above command, you will be able to see all the programs installed on the PC.
- Search the application which was not launching due to this error.
- Right-click on that application using a mouse and select uninstall.
- After clicking on uninstall, a window will pop, which will ask for confirmation to uninstall.
- Click on OK to confirm that you want to uninstall that application from the system.
- Shut down your system after uninstalling the application.
- After shutting down, restart the system so that the application can be uninstalled properly.
- After logging to the system with an admin account, delete all the memory of the applications running in the system.
- After executing all the above steps, install the application again in the system.
Once the program is installed again, try opening the program and check if the issue is resolved or not.
Fix 2: C++ package should be restored in the system
Msvcp140.dll is the library file of the C++ package. Therefore, if this file is not present in the system, to get this file back in System 32 folder of the system, it is recommended to install this package again.
To install the package to your system, below mentioned steps should be followed.
- Before installing the C++ redistributable pack to your PC, first, download the package from the official website of Microsoft.
- To download the package, select English as a preferred language to download.
- Based on the version of your windows operating system, the package should be downloaded. There is a separate package for 64 bits and 32 bits windows operating system.
- In the search bar present at the bottom of the desktop, enter system information to discover the version of your operating system so that you can download the right package.
- After the correct package is downloaded, open the installer software to install the package in your system.
- Now follow the instructions shown in the window that popped up to install the software correctly.
- Once the C++ redistributable package is installed correctly, restart the system so that all the changes can be saved successfully.
Once the visual studio package is installed correctly, try opening the program and check if the issue of “the program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing” is resolved or not.
Fix 3: System should be adequately scanned using antivirus
Sometimes, where there is a virus present in the computer system, it can corrupt the files like msvcp140.dll.
As this file got corrupted, hence when you try to launch a program, you may encounter the error of “the program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing”.
To resolve this error, it is always recommended to weekly scan your system with the help of antivirus so that all the malware files can be deleted from the system.
Final Verdict for “program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing” error
Every user wants their PC to functioning smoothly, and programs should launch quickly. Therefore, when they face the error of “the program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing”, they feel disappointed
Consequently, we have provided a helpful guide that helps you in resolving this error in the Windows 7/8/10 operating system so that you can have a great experience.
If you have something new to share or any feeling or experience, then also feel free to explain it to us so that we can publish it on our portal.
Do let us know in the comment section below that which of the above fixes worked for you!